Have you ever thought of a semester abroad? Would you like to improve your professional skills and gain international experience?
Studies or traineeship abroad will give you valuable international experience, broaden your horizon and surely give you an advantage in the labour market. Every year, a number of University of Tartu students use the opportunity of studying abroad.
As an exchange student, you will still be a student of the University of Tartu, and the courses you take at a foreign university will be part of your studies here.
To ensure that the application process and later the studies abroad go as smoothly as possible, think through and plan your application carefully. Read recommendations about applying to become an exchange student on the University of Tartu webpage.
Read about ongoing competitions and application requirements
Major exchange programmes
- Erasmus+ studies in Europe – 3 to 10 months
A grant of 540–600 euros per month, depending on the destination country. Application period at the beginning of the spring semester and an additional application round at the beginning of September.
- Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility – 3 to 10 months
The living allowance is 700 euros per month, plus one-time travel support.
- Erasmus+ traineeship grant – 2 to 6 months
The grant is about 700 euros per month. Students are supposed to find their traineeship place on their own. Application is open every month. This grant is also available for recent graduates for up to 6 months.
Where to study?
It would be best if you discussed that question with the programme director and other teaching staff who have personal contacts and know about many international universities’ curricula. Narva College has several international partners from which you can choose the one that suits you best.
Find your study mobility destination with the SoleMOVE search engine
(In the field “Your home unit”, enter Narva College)
How to apply?
From the 2022/2023 academic year, the University of Tartu students can apply in the SoleMOVE application system. Log in with your UT username and password. All documents must be completed and submitted in SoleMOVE.
- application on SoleMOVE;
- motivational letter in Estonian or English;
- transcript of records;
- certificate of foreign language proficiency.
Please check the international university’s application requirements and deadlines, as these can differ from those of the University of Tartu.
- You have to be a University of Tartu student to apply.
- By the beginning of the study-abroad period, you must have successfully completed at least the first year of your bachelor’s or master’s studies. You may apply in the spring semester of your first year.
- Please ensure that your mobility period (including transfer of results from the host university) fits into your study period at the University of Tartu.
- Please note that the length of studies at an international university can be 3–12 months.
- You can submit your documents for the next academic year in February-March. An additional call for spring semester applications will take place in August-September.
Erasmus+ application deadlines at the University of Tartu
- for the spring semester: mid-September
- for the autumn semester: 15 March
As a University of Tartu student, you can apply for a mobility or traineeship grant from various scholarship programmes.
Mobility windows in the college’s curricula
Studying abroad in teacher education curricula
From the 2022/2023 academic year, all teacher education curricula of Narva College include a mobility window that enables you to study abroad as an exchange student. The module helps students understand what part of the curriculum they can complete by studying abroad, so they can consider the option of studying abroad at the beginning of their studies.
Studying abroad in the curriculum of Youth Work
All students of Youth Work can use the mobility window to gain international study or work experience. The curriculum has been designed in such a way that students can complete a part of the curriculum at a higher education institution abroad.